“Former Everton Defender John Lindsay Remembered for Courage and Dedication”

“Former Everton Defender John Lindsay Remembered for Courage and Dedication”

John Lindsay, often referred to as Jock in the press, was a skilled full-back whose promising playing career was cut short by injuries, much like several other players at Everton during his time.

Born on August 8, 1924, in East Dunbartonshire, Lindsay began his football journey with

Glasgow Rangers after World War II.

Standing at 5 feet 8½ inches and weighing around 11 stone, Lindsay was not the most

physically imposing defender, but he compensated with his cultured two-footed playing style and determined attitude.

Despite his talent, Lindsay struggled to secure regular playing time at Rangers due

to competition from established full-backs like George Young and ‘Tiger’ Shaw.

In March 1951, Everton signed Lindsay for £9,500 to fill the left-back position

left vacant by George Rankin’s National Service commitment. Lindsay made

his debut in a 3-0 defeat against Manchester United at Old Trafford,

impressing observers with his performance despite the loss.

He later made his home debut against Stoke City’s Stanley Matthews.

Although Lindsay’s arrival came too late to prevent Everton’s relegation that season,

he embraced the opportunity to establish himself in English football. Despite initial homesickness for his native Bishopbriggs, Lindsay and his family adjusted to life on Merseyside, where they remained.

Lindsay played a pivotal role in Everton’s push for promotion in the 1953/54 season,

even taking on penalty kick duties and converting successfully on two occasions.

However, his promising season was cut short on April 10, 1954, when he suffered a

compound fracture of his left leg while attempting to prevent Stoke City from scoring.

Despite the setback, Lindsay demonstrated remarkable courage and resilience in his recovery,

eventually returning to light training in early 1955. However, he never fully regained his previous level of fitness

and sharpness, leading to his departure from Everton in June 1956.

After leaving Everton, Lindsay had brief stints with Bury and South Liverpool before retiring from football. He transitioned into a career as a maintenance engineer at Walton Hospital, where he enjoyed his work.

Outside of football, Lindsay pursued interests in badminton and served in the Territorial Army.

Lindsay’s contributions to Everton were remembered fondly by his former teammates and the club, even after his retirement.

He passed away from cancer on November 25, 1991, at the age of 66, leaving behind a legacy of courage, resilience, and dedication to the sport he loved.

Read more news on sporttoday.co.uk

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.